Monday, June 8, 2009




Today was the longest 2 weeks of my life!! I think I stole that line from a very wise person... me a week or so ago on the blog. That's when Rebekah took Gabe to the hospital. Now for today's update.... When we left off at our last episode Rebekah had forgotten her passport so Karla brought her back to get it. Rebekah caught up with me on her way out and told me it would be a long day as the lines were endless... not what I needed to hear. A quick rabbit trail about socialized medicine. I don't care what political party you align yourself with... but if you want the government controlling health care... you will curse the day that you supported it unless you are rich. The poor have to wait in long lines as it is FREE. The rich go to a different area and don't wait nearly as long. We have been told the care will be similar. Do you believe that?? I wish one million people could read this and would stand up for the middle and lower class when the government tries to take control of health care. I could say more but this is not the place. Back to our episode. As Rebekah went back to the car, Karla was speaking with Monica (Berto's wife). Monica said that her sister is a Dr and was at Betania. She sent her sister up to our room to look at Rebekah. She concluded the antibiotic she was taking was fine but Rebekah needed bed rest, warmth, bed rest, more liquids, and bed rest. You get the picture. So guess what dad did all day. The children will be great in the armed services as they have excellent military minds... divide and conquer!! Literally! Some... probably all of you are laughing, but not me. I'm in the middle of this, and don't forget about Rebekah, she is in bed. Let me see. Feel lousy, chilled, lay in bed and rest/sleep. Or coral kids, try to occupy, learn Portuguese, count the minutes till the next meal. I won't give you an answer as it is a tough one. It wasn't as bad as I might make it sound. Karla and Monica went and brought back a care package for Rebekah. Warmer clothes, juices, etc. As I have said before, everyone here is such a blessing. Lino came after 3:30 for his Monday visit/check-in with us. He was concerned about Rebekah. Lino and I took the kids to Lar Rigote. It is a couple of hundred yards from Betania. There is a big holiday this Thurs - Sunday and Betania had all the rooms booked before we made our reservation... so we have to move out for 3 nights. (Thurs-Sat) We leave Thurs morning and return Sunday mid-afternoon. We will stay at Lar Rigote during this time. After that we returned for dinner. Luci had sent food up to the kitchenette for us. Karla stayed to help me serve dinner to the kids. Kevin also stopped in with some good bread. As a review, Kevin and Karla Boot are missionaries with CCI. They have been a great encouragement to us. They are in the process of adopting... please pray for them! It is refreshing to talk with them. I also forgot to say that Monica and Karla divided up our laundry and took it home to wash. God's blessings are overwhelming. Before we came I prayed that God would help us in all the things that we had no idea we would need. He has answered it in a HUGE way with the faithful Brazilian people here. Saying thanks to these dear people sounds so cheap. Which leads me to ask myself, When I say "thank you" to God, does it sound insincere, rushed, or mundane? I don't know how many times I have said "thank you" the last couple of days, but it doesn't seem like I have said it enough. Do we thank God enough with heart felt praise? Is He pleased with our thanksgiving? Do we recognize half of His blessings? I probably do not. Rebekah is in bed and I need to do a few things before I turn in. Sometimes I feel selfish when I ask for prayer as there are so many other people to pray for. Thank you Lord for your goodness!
Dave

1 comment:

  1. Dave,

    Thanks for taking the time to update--and pictures too! Thankful that Rebekah did not have to endure the long lines--praying that she is turning the corner to complete recovery. Good job on dividing and conquering your crew . . . whew, I can't imagine!

    Praising the Lord for His watchcare over all of you. I think He knows your thankfulness, and I'm certain He knows your weariness. May He give you strength, step by step, day by day.

    Praying in Texas~

    Tina

    ReplyDelete