Saturday, May 30, 2009

He's baaack! That's right Gabe is back. Finally after a couple of days off, at dinner time Gabe found himself again. Happily shoveling food down. He also wanted some of Mom's coffee. Once he gets home Grandma Mowry will gladly fix him coffee. Listen carefully to me Mom, if you give him too much, you get to watch him till the caffeine wears off. As I believe I mentioned yesterday, there are a lot of people here this weekend. It is a real mess. You have Catholics, Lutherans, Missionary Alliance, and who knows what else. Even though it was gray skies again all day it wasn't as bad. There are other kids here for the children to play with. The hard part is figuring out where each one is at any given time. Rebekah did some laundry in the sink yesterday afternoon and some of it still isn't dry yet. She found a wash board today and did some more. I hung the clothes on a clothesline in the back and took them down at sundown. It doesn't even seem like they have dried at all. Obviously there is moisture in the air but it doesn't seem humid. It didn't reach 70 degrees today I don't think. I guess the hair dryer will have to come out again tomorrow morning... I hate damp underwear. Yesterday I wrote about the coffee... the food. For all who have been to Brazil, will understand. For the rest, you need to be thankful for the variety you have in the US and should enjoy it. Rice and beans are a staple. I am here to tell you, two years ago when I first came to Brazil, I looked at the rice and beans and thought "I better take some to be polite"... but they were good. Not like our beans in the US. However, you have them everyday. Also I want to send a message out to Jim (and MaryJane) Dunn. "Hey Jim! would like to come down and have a ham and cheese sandwich with me for breakfast and dinner everyday". All kidding aside, I like the food, especially the fruit... mango's, bananas (prepared 30 different ways), oranges (at least 3 different varieties), watermelon, etc. They also have a dessert that looks like large tapioca but is purple in color. Its pretty good. I just found out why. They cook it with wine....ssshhh, don't tell Pastor Goebert. All in all I am very thankful for everything here. The people are so loving and giving. Two nights ago the group that was here decided to go out to eat and not dine in. We didn't know about it till a lady in the kitchen told us that they prepared enough food for us and delivered it to the small kitchenette at the end of our hall. People are thinking about us all the time and I am so grateful and humbled. Today Rebekah pointed something out to me about the children. They are changing. When we first got them, they always held hands wherever they went. Wellington looking out for the other 3. Lidiane being a little mother to the younger two. Now they don't hold hands as much. I believe they were very insecure before and little afraid. I hope now they can learn to be kids and let Mom and Dad be responsible for them. They can trust us more and more to love and care for them. As young Christians may hang on to the old way of life because it is all they know. Little by little they come to know (love and trust) their heavenly Father and let Him take charge of their lives. Thanks to all you send messages. Please continue to pray for us and our family back home.
God Bless
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment